Search for your favourite recipe

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Scumptious Scallops

Hello food.....

Scrumptious Scallops
This is a recipe I have  had a lot of questioning looks about. How does bacon, pear and fish go together? Surely I must be insane? However, no, I don't think I am insane, well not in food ways anyway!

The thought behind this dish, came from my youth - working in Pizza Express. There was a salad, called the Pancetta Salad (not as original as Jess's Messes names), which me and Cate (my lovely fellow Pizza Express friend) were OBSESSED with. It had pancetta and pear and lettuce, blah de blah and just worked wonderfully well. So my thoughts grew from here. Hmmmmm, crispy bacon is lovely with scallops - but perhaps a little overdone, what can I do with it to make it more interesting? Well, pear and bacon goes well together too - and so this dish was born... Let me know your thoughts

What do I need?
(Serves 4)

  • 2 Conference Pears
  • 4 Rashers Streaky Bacon
  • 10g Butter
  • 10ml Sunflower Oil
  • 12 King Scallops (out of shell)
  • 1 Lemon
  • Hamdful Lambs Lettuce
  • Salt and Pepper
What do I do?

1. Finely dice the pears and palce in saucepan. Cook on a slow heat until it has all turned to mush!

2. Grill the bacon slowly, until all the fat has gone lovely and crispy. Wait for it to cool and crumble into small pieces. Place in ovenproof dish.

3. Season each scallop with salt and pepper.

4. Melt the butter in a non-stick, shallow frying pan, along with the oil. Meanwhile heat the pear puree under the grill.

5. Place 3 blobs of puree on each plate. When the butter is piping hot add each scallop qiuckly. Squeeze the lemon juice into the pan.

6. Cook very quickly on a high heat for 2 minutes each side and place one on each blob of puree.

7. Sprinkle bacon and lambs lettuce on top and dress with pan juices.

8. Serve immediately.

ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment